Harishankar Brahma Biography: Harishankar Brahma is the former Chief Election Commissioner of India. He is the first Chief Election Commissioner in India from Assam and the second from North East India. Shri Harishankar Brahma was the 19th Chief Election Commissioner of India.
He served the commission as a Chief Election Commissioner from 16 January 2015 to 18 April 2015. Before joining as Chief Election Commissioner of India, H S Brahma also served as Secretary in the Ministry of Power, Govt. of India.
Note: James Michael Lyngdoh is the first Chief Election Commissioner of India from Northeast India.
Harishankar Brahma Biography | Former Chief Election Commissioner of India
|Full Name||Harishankar Brahma|
|Popularly Known||HS Brahma|
|Profession||Civil Servant ( IAS Officer 1975 Batch from Andhra Pradesh Cadre)|
|Famous For||1. First Chief Election Commissioner in India from Assam (Preceded by V.S Sampath and Succeded by Nasim Zaidi)|
2. First Bodo IAS Officer
|Date of Birth||19 April 1950|
|Age||73 years (as on 19 April 2023)|
|Place of Birth||Gossaigaon, Kokrajhar District, Assam, India|
|School||Don Bosco School, Guwahati|
|College||St. Edmund’s College, Shillong|
|Educational Qualification||Post Graduate (Political Science)|
Harishankar Brahma | Former Chief Election Commissioner of India
Hari Shankar Brahma is the first Bodo person to clear the Union Public Service Commission exam in the year 1975. Later He becomes the first Election Commissioner and first Chief Election Commissioner of India from Assam and the second Election Commissioner from North East India after James Michael Lyngdoh. If you are interested to know about the former Chief Election Commissioner of India, then this article will help you.
Harishankar Brahma Early Life
Hari Shankar Brahma was born on 19 April 1950 to a Bodo family in the Gossaigaon sub-division in Kokrajhar District.
Harishankar Brahma Education
Hari Shankar Brahma did his schooling at Don Bosco School, Guwahati. He graduated from St.Edmund College, Shillong, and completed his post-graduation from Gauhati University in Political Science Department.
|Don Bosco School, Guwahati||12th|
|St.Edmund’s College, Shillong||Graduate|
|Gauhati University||Post Graduate (Political Science)|
Harishankar Brahma Family
Harishankar Brahma was born to a Bodo family in the Gossaigaon Sub Division of Kokrajhar district under the BTR Region of Assam. unfortunately, there is no information related to his family on the internet or any public forums.
Harishankar Brahma Career
Harishankar Brahma is one of the hard-working and self-made bureaucrats with high self-esteem. After completing post-graduation H S Brahma started preparing for Union Public Service Commission (UPSC) Examination, which is considered India’s toughest Examination. Brahma, with a lot of concentration and hard work, succeeds in the UPSC exam on the second attempt in the year 1975 and becomes IAS Officer.
After succeeding in the Union Public Service Commission Exam HS Brahma served in various important posts in the civil department under the central govt and state govt. H S Brahma served nearly 40 years in various posts of civil service. He was also appointed as the Joint Secretary of the Home Department of Central Govt. He served as joint Secretary 3 years from March 2006 to December 2006.
Hari Shankar Brahma has held various senior-level posts in the central government and state government prior to the present posting. Before retiring as Secretary from the Ministry of Power, Shri Brahma held posts such as Joint Secretary (Border Management) for more than four years and completed almost all the border fencing and other border infrastructural work on Indo-Pak, Indo-Bangladesh border. He also worked as Special Secretary & Additional Secretary in the National Disaster Management Authority (Ministry of Home Affairs).
He was the Member-Secretary of the State Electricity Board, Andhra Pradesh, and also worked as:
Harishankar Brahma Civil Service Career
- Hari Shankar Brahma cleared UPSC Examination on the second attempt in 1975 of the Andhra Pradesh Cadre and become the first IAS Officer among Bodos.
- H S Brahma served as District Collector & Magistrate for 4 years in Andhra Pradesh.
- Commissioner, Municipal Corporation of Hyderabad for 3 and half years
- Commissioner (Transport) & Ex-officio Secretary (Transport, Road & Building), Government of Andhra Pradesh for 2 and a half years
- Commissioner & Ex-officio Secretary (Food, Civil Supplies & Consumer Affairs) for 5 years.
- Principal Secretary (Environment, Forest, Science & Technology), Government of Andhra Pradesh.
- He was appointed as the election commissioner in August 2010. He has overseen two Lok Sabha elections and at least one round of Assembly elections in every state.
- HS Brahma retired as the Union Power Secretary in April 2010 and held office till April 18, 2015.
- He is the first person from the Bodo community as well as from Assam and the second person from the Northeast to become an Election Commissioner.
- H S Brahma was elected as chief Election Commissioner on 16 January 2015 and did his duty till 19 April 2015.
Harishankar Brahma Images
Important Website Links
FAQ’s About Former CEC Harishankar Brahma
1. Who is the first Chief Election Commissioner of India from Assam?
Harishankar Brahma is the first Chief Election Commissioner of India from Assam and the second from Northeast India.
2. Who is Harishankar Brahma?
Harishankar Brahma is the first Bodo to clear UPSC Exam and the first IAS Officer among Bodos in 1975 from Andhra Pradesh Cadre. He is the first Chief Election Commission of India from Assam.
3. Who is the First Bodo IAS Officer?
Harisankar Brahma is the first IAS Officer among Bodos.
4. Who is the first Election Commissioner of India from Northeast India?
James Michael Lyngdoh is the first Chief Election Commissioner of India from Northeast India.