Pramila Rani Brahma Biography: Pramila Rani Brahma is a Bodo women politician and social worker from the Kokrajhar district of Bodoland Territorial Region (BTR) of Assam. She was a member of the Assam Legislative Assembly from Kokrajhar East Constituency reserved for ST.
She served as an MLA for straight 6 consecutive terms in Assam Government. She represents East Kokrajhar Constituency as an Independent candidate for 4 consecutive terms and as a member of the Bodoland People’s Front (BPF) party, she represents the Kokrajhar East ST constituency for three consecutive terms.
Also Check, Hagrama Mohilary
During her last tenure from 2016 to 2019, Pramila Rani Brahma was given cabinet ministry for the Forest and Environment, Soil Conservation, and Mines and Mineral Departments, but in the change in the posts of various ministers, including Education minister Himanta Biswa Sarma, Pramila Rani Brahma was given the authority of the social welfare portfolio.
Pramila Rani Brahma Biography
|Full Name||Pramila Rani Brahma|
|Profession||Politician, Social Worker|
|Political Party||Independent (1991 – 2006)|
Bodoland People’s Front (BPF) (2011 – Present)
|Constituency||Kokrajhar East Constituency (ST)|
|Portfolio||1. Minister of the Forest and Environment, Soil Conservation, and Mines and Mineral Departments, at the Government of Assam (At the time of Sarbananda Sonowal Ministry from 2016 to 2019)|
2. Minister of Agriculture and Welfare of Plain Tribes and Backward Castes, Government of Assam (At the time of Tarun Gogoi Ministry from 2006 to 2010)
Pramila Rani Brahma Personal Life
|Date of Birth||1951|
|Age||72 years (As of 2024)|
|Place of Birth||Kokrajhar|
|College||Kokrajhar Government College|
|Husband||Late Nanigopal Brahma|
|Children||Three (1 Son, 2 Daughters)|
|Parents||Late K.P Brahma (Father)|
Thageswari Brahma (Mother)
|Join Telegram Group||Join Here|
Bodoland People’s Front | BPF
|Politcal Party||Bodoland People’s Front (BPF)|
|Pramila Rani Brahma |
|1. After the formation of the BPF Party Pramila Rani Brahma joined the BPF Party and represented the BPF party for the first time in the 2011 Assam Assembly Election|
2. Before joining the BPF, she had won as an Independent candidate for the 4 times consecutive terms.
|Assam Assembly Elections||1. Pramila Rani Brahma represents the Kokrajhar East constituency ST for straight 6 consecutive terms from 1991 – 2021|
Pramila Rani Brahma was seeking to be elected as MLA from Kokrajhar East ST for the seventh time in a row. But in the 2021 Assam Assembly Election, she lost the MLA seat to Lawrence Islary.
|Sl. No.||Member||Election||Constituency||Reserved For||Party||Result|
|1||Pramila Rani Brahma||1991 Assam Assembly Election||Kokrajhar East||ST||Independent||Won|
|2||Pramila Rani Brahma||1996 Assam Assembly Election||Kokrajhar East||ST||Independent||Won|
|3||Pramila Rani Brahma||2001 Assam Assembly Election||Kokrajhar East||ST||Independent||Won|
|4||Pramila Rani Brahma||2006 Assam Assembly Election||Kokrajhar East||ST||Independent||Won|
|5||Pramila Rani Brahma||2011 Assam Assembly Election||Kokrajhar East||ST||BPF||Won|
|6||Pramila Rani Brahma||2016 Assam Assembly Election||Kokrajhar East||ST||BPF||Won|
|7||Pramila Rani Brahma||2021 Assam Assembly Election||Kokrajhar East||ST||BPF||Defeat|
Pramila Rani Brahma Portfolio
Pramila Rani Brahma Portfolio in Assam Government
2006 – 2016 = During the Congress government Former-Chief Minister of Assam Tarun Gogoi, Pramila Rani Brahma was given cabinet ministry for the following departments (source).
- Agriculture and Welfare of Plain Tribes and Backward Castes
2016 – 2017 = In the year 2016 Sarbananda Sonowal became the Chief Minister of Assam and during her tenure at the time of BJP led Government, she was given cabinet ministry for the following departments:
- Forest and Environment,
- Soil Conservation and
- Mines and Mineral Departments
Also Read, Pramod Boro Biography
Pramila Rani Brahma Biography – Early Life, Education, Family & Political Career
Longest Serving Women MLA in Assam: Pramila Rani Brahma is the most famous women politician among the Bodos. She is the longest-term serving female MLA in the Assam Assembly. If you are interested in the Promila Rani life story or Pramila Rani Biography read this article till the end.
Pramila Rani Brahma Early Life
Pramila Rani Brahma is also known as the longest-serving women MLA in Assam. She was born in the year 1951 to Late KP Brahma and Thageswari Brahma.
Pramila Rani Brahma Education
Pramila Rani Brahma completed her graduation from Kokrajhar Government College in the Arts department under Gauhati University in 1972.
Pramila Rani Brahma Family
Pramila Rani Brahma is a resident of Kokrajhar Town, Assam. She got married in 1972 and has a son and two daughters.
Pramila Rani Brahma Social Work
Before joining politics Pramila Rani Brahma gives her contributions to the Bodoland Movement with the father of Bodos Bodofa Upendra Nath Brahma. But unfortunately, there is a lack of information regarding Pramila Rani’s Contribution to the Bodoland Movement on the Internet or any other public forums.
Pramila Rani Brahma Political Career
- Pramila Rani Brahma started her political career in 1991, Pramila Rani Brahma represent the East Kokrajhar constituency as an independent candidate from 1991 to 2006. She won her first Assam Assembly Election which was held in 1991.
- Pramila Rani Brahma served a total of six consecutive terms in the Kokrajhar East Constituency. As an independent candidate, she served four consecutive years and then she represented Bodoland People’s Front (BPF).
- In the 1996 Assam Assembly Election, Pramila Rani as an Independent candidate won the Kokrajhar East Constituency seat for the second time.
- In the 2001 Assam Assembly Election, Pramila Rani Brahma won the Kokrajhar East seat.
- Pramila Rani Brahma got elected as an Independent candidate to the 2006 Assam Assembly Election and she won the seat and held a position as the Minister of Social Welfare of the Assam Government.
- In the 2011 Assam Assembly Election, Pramila Rani Brahma won the seat by defeating independent candidate Kishore Basumatary by a margin of 45,904 votes.
- In the 2016 Assam assembly elections, Pramila Rani Brahma was nominated as the Bodoland Peoples’ Front (BPF) candidate and she won the seat by defeating independent candidate Pratibha Brahma by a margin of 40,091 votes.
- Pramila has been renominated as the Bodoland Peoples’ Front (BPF) candidate for the 15th Assam Assembly Election in the year 2021 from Kokrajhar Constituency.
But unfortunately in the year 2021, Assam Social welfare minister and senior Bodoland People’s Front (BPF) leader Pramila Rani Brahma lost the Kokrajhar East seat by a huge margin of 10,658 votes after the 5th round of the counting of votes. Pramila Rani Brahma has been Kokrajhar (East) candidate since 1991. Longest serving female MLA in Assam lost to Lawrence Islary of the United People’s Party – Liberal (UPPL).
Pramila Rani Brahma MP Election
Pramila Rani Brahma got elected as a BPF candidate for the 2019 MP Election and she lost the seat to Naba Kumar Saraniya.
Pramila Rani Brahma Photos
Important Website Links
|Pramila Rani Brahma Facebook||Click Here|
|Pramila Rani Brahma Twitter||Click Here|
|Visit Bodopedia Homepage||Click Here|
|Join Telegram Group||Join Here|
- Pramod Boro Biography
- Hagrama Mohilary Biography
- Bodofa Upendra Nath Brahma
- Rupnath Brahma Biography
FAQ’s about Pramila Rani Brahma
1. Who is Pramila Rani Brahma?
Pramila Rani Brahma is a Bodo Senior Women Politician. She was a member of the Assam Legislative Assembly.
2. Who is the Longest Serving Female MLA from Assam?
Pramila Rani Brahma is the longest-term-serving female MLA from Assam